Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Watermelon Fight

Last week Jack and I were learning about Stephen being martyred during Bible time. For the activity, he colored a big rock and wrote the ACTS 7 on it. I treasure how the simplest of things can make him happy. Just saying, "Go get a rock from the rock pile" can put a big ole smile on my little boy's face. He doesn't even know what he will be doing with the rock but it's just fun to have for some reason! Speaking of, I had to have Boston spit out a rock today that he had apparently been carrying around with him just for the moment when he needed a snack. So they are good for that too.

It was during this activity of coloring the rock that God shared with me in our reading, the verse that I should begin praying over Moses. I have a verse that I pray over each the boys and I have been praying for God to show me the one for Moses for 6 months. I just had to smile when He finally gave it to me as if He was saying, "You knew I would give it to you...but it's all in my time little girl, all in my time." All those months of searching Biblegateway for Him to give it to me in my paper bible in print! I love that God has a sense of humor.

And today we finished up that Bible story with an activity. I was cutting up my 17 cent a lb watermelon that I got last week and was super excited about it when I realized it was going bad! I was immediately reminded of something that my grandmother used to do with us when we were kids called...THE WATERMELON FIGHT! (I hope my sisters are laughing by this point in the post) She would cut up lots of watermelon, take us out in the bright sunshine in her big backyard on the ranch, and we would throw watermelon at each other. It sounds kinda lame, but it was oh so fun. My favorite part was always the hose down at the end!Again with little boys, the simplest of words make them happy. They didn't even know what we were doing but they knew it involved a game, watermelon, and the backyard. That was enough.
Today we remembered the trials that Stephen went through with a watermelon fight! We then thanked Jesus for giving us the story of Stephen.
That may or may not be watermelon on my forehead!

3 comments:

  1. you have fun ideas and I love how you implement them. The new chairs look amazing by the way. A recipe for another fun idea I found--
    Bubble Paint

    2T tempra paint or 15 drops food coloring in 1/2 cup regular bubbles. tape a piece of paper to a fence, or between trees and blow bubbles at the paper. sounds fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have fun ideas Ms. "Ginia"! Thank you for sharing the bubble paint recipe.

    ReplyDelete