Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Homemade Cleaning Products

When I started staying at home, needless to say there was a big lifestyle change financially.  So I began to make a lot more things at home.  You already know that I bake and freeze A.L.O.T.  I also began to make homemade cleaning products to save money.  I love that I can give them to the boys to clean something and know that they will be fine using them.  Here are a few of my favorites.



Surface Spray (this is pretty much my favorite cleaner of all time; I use lavender Castile soap so it smells really good too!)
  • 16 oz spray bottle
  • 2 tsp. borax
  • ¼ tsp. liquid castile soap (like Dr. Bronner’s)
  • hot water    
Oven Cleaner
  • Dampen with water
  • Sprinkle liberally with baking sodaLeave 20 minutes, then scrub until clean.  

    Microwave Cleaner
    • ½ c. vinegar
    • 2 c. water
    Combine in microwave safe bowl, heat on high for 3-4 minutes, remove bowl and wipe down inside of microwave.


    Tub And Tile Cleaner:

    • Apply vinegar full-strength to a sponge and wipe
    • Scour with baking soda  
Wood Floor Cleaner: 
  • ¼ c. vinegar
  • 1 gallon warm water
    Mop or rag should be slightly damp for cleaning. 

    Furniture Polish:
    • ½ tsp. olive oil 
    • ¼ c. vinegar or lemon juice
      Mix in a glass jar. Dab a soft rag into the solution and wipe onto wood surfaces.
       
      Basic Wood Cleaning Formula
      ¼ cup white distilled vinegar
      ¼ cup water
      ½ tsp liquid saop or detergent
      Few drops of jojoba or olive oil
      3-5 drops fragrant essential oil (optional)

      Combine in 16 oz spray bottle.


      **Note about vinegar:Vinegar, throughout history, has been reputed to have strong antibacterial properties. One test by Good Housekeeping's microbiologist found that 5% vinegar is 90% effective against mold and 99.9% effective against bacteria.
      --From Wikipedia
Boston loves to help me clean so I usually make him a little solution of vinegar and water to clean things with.
These are my most used ones around the house!  I wish I had all the places I have gathered them from, they are not original ideas.  They have come from different blogs or books from the library.  Just thought I would share them with you!  Happy Cleaning!

2 comments:

  1. i love the microwave one! genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade cleaning products are very much safe as they are non toxic. They are more environment friendly...i am very glad to have came across this post,got so many recipes of household cleaners.

    ReplyDelete