Monday, June 6, 2011

Baptism Day cont.

We took Jack out afterwards to celebrate. Matt and I wanted to do something really special with him so we took him out on a date just the 3 of us. It didn't even seem to matter to him where we went, just that we were together. We ate BBQ and got some ice cream. We sat in the car eating ice cream and reading all the cards and letters that people had given him. I was kinda concerned we would lose him on the card reading part but it seemed to really mean something to him. He quietly listened to each one and smiled as we read the words of affirmation and love that people shared with him on this momentous occasion.

We already had life group scheduled that night and instead of canceling, they asked if they could bring over Jack's favorite foods to celebrate. Spaghetti pie, Ms. Virginia's bread (yes I have the recipe, one of my most treasured wedding gifts), watermelon, rainbow confetti cake, and some soda. Soda is a big deal in this house!

When Jack went to bed, we prayed with him and told him how proud we were of him. And when I laid my head down on my husband's shoulder to go to sleep, we agreed it was the perfect day.

God has given me such a gift in being able to stay at home with my children. And sometimes in the day to day I can lose sight of its significance. Sunday morning on June 5th during the 9am service is why I do it. Thank you Lord for the opportunity to invest in my children every hour of the day, watch my husband love them with reckless abandon, and to witness my firstborn give his little heart to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment