Sunday, July 29, 2012

Blessed are those who mourn...

One of the things that people have said a lot to me this year is, "It must be really hard to grieve with your children."  And yes, it is very hard.  There are two reasons for this...
1. Every day you have to get up out of the depths of despair and awake to the reality that there are wonderful and amazing little people who depend on you no matter what your emotional state is
2. Your children are grieving too which is beyond heartbreaking and it is your job to lead them through it

So how do you do it?  Well I think it depends on the dynamic of your family.  You do whatever it is for your family that keeps you together as much as possible.  You talk about it when you need to, you cry when you can't fight it anymore, and you "just be" who your family is, TOGETHER.  For us, we all love projects and being outdoors.  We love to make things and to give things new life.  We love to be in God's creation together.  Here are some pictures of what that looks like. (obviously, lots of before and after pictures will be coming!)

A new red dresser, as Boston requested for himself

A log cabin, in the works, that the boys requested Daddy build them

Breaking army men out of ice on the driveway (thanks to an awesome homemade game from LG 65)

The log cabin coming to life!

The water park in Parker

Lego building, we have done lots and lots of lego building

The Summer Library Party

We have had plenty of movie nights after long hot days outside
 We also began tracking our blessings in the midst of our pain.  Because our family as taken this huge leap of faith and sacrifice in recent months, we both felt like it was important to record all that God has done during this time.
This is our family thermometer...it tracks how much money we have saved towards the goal we are trying to reach.

These are our family thankful journals where we write what we are thankful for each week
 
And as for me...I took Matt's beloved map (if you know Matty V, you know the one) and I turned it into a Wall of Strength.  Remember all the words I said I was going to need when I came out of shock?  Well, here they are.  This week may have been the toughest I have had yet.  My mind has finally begun to let my heart feel what I have so badly not wanted it to.  If you have sent me a prayer or a verse or a word of encouragement, they are on the wall.  I read them and I let them soak into my heart each day.



2 comments:

  1. Praying for you as you process as a family.

    You seem so much farther away now that you have moved!!

    Tell me more about that water park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia, you and your family have been so heavy on my heart this week. Been praying for you. I also know those depths of sorrow, and how it can come as a flood to overwhelm you. May He give you comfort as only He can. Love you much! <3 Rene S

    ReplyDelete